With over one-third of our learners at SelfDesign® Learning Community having special needs, we integrate our support services into every grade level of our kindergarten to grade 12 program and offer significant support for learners with special needs, whatever their age or ability.
We provide learners with Indigenous learning opportunities so they can understand the world and its relations through a framework of Indigenous wisdom and philosophy.
Our integrative and inclusive program is funded by the B.C. Ministry of Education and Child Care as a Group 1 Independent Online Learning School.
You have access to the SelfDesign Learning Experiences Library, a dynamic collection of resources, questions, suggestions and inspirations sparked by the curiosity of our learners and offered in integrated interest-based experiences.
From kindergarten to grade 12, your child and you work one-on-one with a B.C. certified educator who will support your child in achieving their goal of completion in a way that best suits them – B.C. Certificate of Graduation (Dogwood Diploma), Adult Graduation Diploma or School Completion (Evergreen) Certificate.
Out of province learners can enrol in our kindergarten to grade 12 program, including residents of the United States, through our partnership with Cognia. For more information, please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our support services are for learners with special needs.
They are integrated into every grade level.
How our school works
What to expect in each grade
From kindergarten to Grade 7, we have developed a B.C. certified educational program that allows the unique spirit of your child to evolve naturally, today and into the future. Our offerings speak both to the playful spirit of the child and the emerging maturity of the young person.
- You and your child work with a B.C. certified educator to create a personalized learning plan that maps your child’s interests and curiosities, specifying resources and activities that will be used to facilitate learning and meet B.C. educational requirements.
- You’ll work one-on-one directly with your educator, who will guide you through your child’s learning plan. As your child grows older, their direct relationship with the educator grows as well.
- Grade 6-7: additional offerings include optional drop-in real-time meetings which are playful, low-pressure opportunities for your child to enter into a collaborative online learning environment, to develop foundational skills to support them in their growing independence as an online learner at SelfDesign.
- Grades 8-9: In addition to live offerings, learners have access to a variety of resources and prompts for artifact creation available throughout the learning year through the SelfDesign learning platform which will support them as they move into their highschool grades.
Grade 8 and 9 at SelfDesign Learning Community follows a similar program to kindergarten to Grade 7 with the addition of workshops that are either theme-related or personal development-related:
- Workshops that are either theme-related or personal development-related:
- These drop-in workshops offer playful, low-pressure opportunities for your child to enter into a collaborative online learning environment, to develop foundational skills, and to interact with the curriculum through the themes.
- Your child can participate in the workshops as observers or actively participate in sharing stories, laughter, and sharing perspectives on their themes.
- Grade 10 to 12 learning follows B.C.’s new curriculum, and SelfDesign Learning Community’s personalized learning approach.
- We support your child in achieving their goal of completion in the way that best suits them, whether it’s their B.C. Certificate of Graduation (Dogwood Diploma), Adult Graduation Diploma or School Completion (Evergreen) Certificate.
Our information packages
Kindergarten – Grade 9
Grades 10 – 12
What a calendar year looks like
There are no upcoming events at this time